A Garden Blog About Saying Goodbye

I'm a gardener in Chicago, IL, and I'm leaving my garden behind at the end of the year - The Last Garden is about my garden's final year. Share & Enjoy.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Garden: February 18, 2011

After spring comes, those little blue primroses go out into the
garden. Here's one now. (Primula vulgaris 'Blue')

Alright, I'm going to let the photos speak for themselves, but just wait: Temps have been rising into the 40s F during the day for the past week, and this morning we all woke up and most of the snow is gone. Here's what's happening:


Consistent snow cover has proven to be our friend once again; many plants have wintered over relatively intact, considering. The weather isn't going to stay like this, though. Next week we'll be dipping down into the 20s at night, with no snow to protect the plants, so enjoy these little guys.

Also, ah, yes, my garden does look like that all winter. I rather like it, but I understand it pushes some people's tidiness buttons.

My garden in winter, just to warn you (or perhaps gladden you). I leave
the tags on a shrub for its first year, just to get to know it.

Tiny new foliage and flowerbuds on a Hellebore, Helleborus orientalis.

A Scilla siberica trio, already trying to send up their little blue flowers.

Colchicum speciosum? It's too shady in this spot, so it hasn't bloomed in
couple years. It got nipped by cold sometime this week, hence the brown.

Moss and bricks have been something of a theme for my life.

A bud on my neighbor's white Lilac (Syringa vulgaris 'Alba').

Iris germanica 'Crimson King,' or 'Amas,' maybe. Bearded Iris, which
I have a hard time imagining completely dormant.

A bud on my Juneberry tree (Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Autumn
Brilliance'), which will explode into small fluffy blooms in April.

Overwintered Forget-Me-Not (Myosotis alpestris).

The lipstick-red bud of American Cranberry Viburnum (Viburnum
trilobum).

Ostrich Fern (Matteucia struthiopteris) stirring into life. Normally
I don't see green on these 'til late April, or even May.

Cowslip (Primula veris 'Sunset Shades'), which will shortly present
me with bright red, orange and yellow flowers.

Heuchera sanguinea 'Ruby Bells' or 'Chatterbox.' I can never remember
'til they bloom.

So, perhaps if you're even as close as Kentucky, this won't seem too exciting, but, trust me, in Chicago this moment doesn't come 'til early March, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment